Sort by Date
03 May 2000
Geoscience Australia celebrates the Australian Science Festival 2000
with an Open Day on 7 May
Geoscience Australia will be celebrating the Australian
Science Festival along with other scientific organisations around Australia.
As part of these celebrations Geoscience Australia will be opening it's doors to the public
with an Geoscience Australia Open Day on Sunday 7 May 2000 from 10am to 4pm.
It promises to be an action packed, fun-filled day with something for everyone with:
- Tours of the award winning, purpose-built scientific building every half
hour from 10.30am to 3.30pm
- A series of FREE public lectures throughout the day
- Get your 'PET' rock identified on the 'Rock ID Table' by experts from
the Geological Society of Australia
- See the facilities of Geoscience Australia's Earth Science Education Centre and build
- 'Colouring-In' competitions for the very young
- Geological quizzes for the whole family
FREE PUBLIC LECTURES
A series of FREE public lectures will be held throughout the day (see below for program details).
- 10.00am - Show and Tell: The Great Geological Cover-Up! by Ms Kylie
- 11.00am - The West Australian Goldfields, Mineralisation, Geology and Geophysics by Dr. Alan Whittaker
- 12.00 noon - The Origin of Life, Sex and Oil by Dr. Graham Logan
- 1.00pm - Delving the Depths of Time by Mr. Patrick Lyons
- 2.00pm - Beyond the shoreline: the other Australia' by Dr. Howard Stagg
Geoscience Australia is located at: THE CORNER OF JERRABOMBERRA AVENUE and HINDMARSH DRIVE, SYMONSTON
The Australian Science Festival aims to increase awareness of the importance of science and technology to our economic and social well-being through a focused and accessible week of science-based activities.
For more information or to arrange an interview, please call the
Media Hotline 1800 882 035 (24 hour)