Geoscience Australia is a prescribed agency within the Resources, Energy and Tourism portfolio, and our Minister is The Hon Gary Gray AO MP.
GA is Australia’s national geoscience agency and exists to apply geoscience to Australia’s most important challenges. GA provides geoscientific advice and information to the Australian Government to support it to deliver its priorities. GA also provides geoscientific information to industry, the community and other stakeholders where it supports achievement of Australian Government objectives.
The agency is a world leader in providing first class geoscientific data, information and knowledge which supports informed decision making in relation to:
- Responsible development of the nation’s resources, including management of the environment
- Cleaner and low emissions energy technology
- Marine planning and protection
- Community safety
The agency also undertakes a range of activities intended to ensure that the Australian Government and the community reap the broader and longer-term benefits geoscience and geoscientific information offer, including greater innovation and increased productivity. GA undertakes public good activities in the following areas:
- National Geoscience Capability, including developing and maintaining datasets and collections that support the nation to engage with enduring national issues, and increasing the use of geoscientific information.
- National Geoscience Infrastructure, including operating nationally important infrastructure such as observatories.
- Promotion and Presence, including operation of a popular education centre and open day, support for curriculum development and engagement with the research community.
The agency also leverages its capability to undertake activities that relate to current Australian Government priorities and that support the work of other Australian Government agencies.
Topic contact: email@example.com Last updated: March 27, 2013