Petroleum Data Repository
Geoscience Australia houses one of the world's largest collections of petroleum data. Much of this data is non-confidential and available to the petroleum industry, research organisations and the public. The collection includes seismic survey data and well data submitted by industry under legislative requirements as well as data collected by research projects and marine surveys undertaken by Geoscience Australia or other government agencies or institutions.
The collections comprise three kinds of data:
- Physical specimens and samples of geoscience material such as samples from petroleum wells and stratigraphic holes, down hole drill cores and cuttings, onshore side wall core samples, thin sections, reservoir plugs, liquid and gas hydrocarbon samples
- Digital data such as:
- 2D and 3D seismic survey field data, navigation data, processed data, velocity data, observer's logs, operational reports, processing reports, bathymetry data, potential field data (gravity and magnetic)
- well completion reports, well logs, destructive analysis reports, vertical seismic profiles, core photography, special studies
- databases compiled from data/reports/interpretations from government activities or submitted by industry under legislation.
- Hard-copies submitted during the pre-digital era including seismic sections and other analogue formats.
Search for Petroleum Data
Search Wells - search for well data and information, download data, produce online graphs and reports. Data includes well header data, biostratigraphy, reservoir characteristics, velocity surveys, directional surveys, and organic geochemistry.
Search Repository - PIMS is a search tool for discovery of survey and well data and physical samples held by the Data Repository. Data can be ordered via an online form. Although this is public data, fees are charged to cover the cost of transcription and delivery. See the current Price Schedule [PDF 73KB] [DOC 313KB]
Geoscience Australia has developed the National Offshore Petroleum Information Management System (NOPIMS) as an online data discovery and delivery system for all Australian offshore petroleum wells and seismic surveys.
The latest release of the NOPIMS includes an improved user interface; additional and improved functionalities, such as cross multi browser compatibility, new higher quality maps with ArcGIS integration; the inclusion of web services; and integration with Geoscience Australia's Web Map Services (WMS). The NOPIMS is now populated with reports and data for more than 85% of the offshore petroleum wells and seismic surveys. The NOPIMS does not currently store reprocessed seismic survey data, field seismic, processed seismic or navigation datasets currently held on tape. For information about these datasets as well as any other data not yet available in the NOPIMS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access to the full functionality of the NOPIMS requires self-registration. The password can be reset by the user at any time. To self-register please visit http://www.ga.gov.au/nopims.
The related information provides various links to our partners and State and Territories geoscience agencies as well as links and related information about Geoscience Australia and its partners.
- To request well and survey data from repository holdings please contact email@example.com
- To request to view and sample physical assets such as core, cuttings and fluids please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- To make other enquires regarding petroleum databases, scientific data or other petroleum information please contact email@example.com