Proterozoic Synthesis Project
This project concluded on 30 June 2007.
The Proterozoic Synthesis project was conducted in 2006-07, and provided a greater understanding of Proterozoic (2000-1000 Ma) regions across Australia.
Regional time-space-event compilations
The first part of this project examined the time-space evolution of the principal regions for the Proterozoic time period including:
- Tanami, Arunta, Davenport, Tennant Creek
- Mount Isa, McArthur, Murphy, Georgetown, Coen
- Pine Creek, Halls Creek
- Capricorn, Rudall, Albany-Fraser, King Leopold
For each area, time-space data plots were generated after evaluating the confidence levels for all readily available geochronology data. This information was compiled in order to characterise the event types (magmatism, deformation, metamorphism, sedimentation and mineralisation) for each terrane. The results of this part of the project are documented in the Geoscience Australia Record 2007/06 Geochronological synthesis and Time-Space plots for Proterozoic Australia.
Regional and continental correlations
The second stage of the project used the regional time-space event plots, and supporting datasets to correlate events at the national scale to provide extra information on geodynamic interpretations and the associated metallogenic potential of the Australian Proterozoic.
The synthesis for this stage of the project contains:
- a report describing reasons for the correlations and predictions for metallogeny
- annotated maps showing geodynamic interpretations
- annotated maps overlain on geodynamic interpretations showing predictions of an area's potential for known mineralisation styles and the potential for previously unknown mineral systems.
The results of this part of the project are documented in the Geoscience Australia Record 2007/16 Geodynamic and Metallogenic Evolution of Proterozoic Australia from 1870 - 1550 Ma: a discussion.
Promote opportunities for investment in mineral exploration through new pre-competitive geoscience information from synthesis of Australia's Proterozoic Era geological provinces across the entire continent.