Petroleum Data Repository Project
Geoscience Australia houses one of the world's largest collections of petroleum data. Much of this data is non-confidential and available to the petroleum industry, research organisations and the public. The collection includes seismic survey data and well data submitted by industry under legislative requirements as well as data collected by research projects and marine surveys undertaken by Geoscience Australia or other government agencies or institutions.
The collections comprise three kinds of data:
- Physical specimens and samples of geoscience material such as samples from petroleum wells and stratigraphic holes, down hole drill cores and cuttings, onshore side wall core samples, thin sections, reservoir plugs, liquid and gas hydrocarbon samples
- Digital data such as:
- 2D and 3D seismic survey field data, navigation data, processed data, velocity data, observer's logs, operational reports, processing reports, bathymetry data, potential field data (gravity and magnetic)
- well completion reports, well logs, destructive analysis reports, vertical seismic profiles, core photography, special studies
- databases compiled from data/reports/interpretations from government activities or submitted by industry under legislation.
- Hard-copies submitted during the pre-digital era including seismic sections and other analogue formats
Search for Petroleum Data
- Search Wells - search for well data and information, download data, produce online graphs and reports. Data includes well header data, biostratigraphy, reservoir characteristics, velocity surveys, directional surveys, and organic geochemistry.
- Search Repository - PIMS is a search tool for discovery of survey and well data and physical samples held by the Data Repository. Data can be ordered via an online form. Although this is public data, fees are charged to cover the cost of transcription and delivery. See the current Price Schedule [PDF 73KB] [DOC 313KB]
- Geoscience Australia has developed the National Offshore Petroleum Information Management System (NOPIMS) as an online data discovery and delivery system for Australian offshore petroleum wells and seismic surveys.
Access to the full functionality of NOPIMS requires registration and use of a password controlled log in.
Data coverage and completeness in the initial release of the NOPIMS is limited to reports and data for open-file wells and surveys after 1 January 2012 and selected data for the 2015 Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release. The NOPIMS does not contain all versions of reprocessed seismic survey datasets. However, over time, the NOPIMS will be progressively populated with reports and data for all offshore petroleum wells and seismic surveys.
Please note that data for both wells and surveys in the NOPIMS are a subset of the submitted data to the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA). Geoscience Australia has renamed some datasets for improved search functionality and ease of use. The NOPIMS does not store the field data for seismic surveys. For seismic field data please contact email@example.com.
Reports and data for wells and surveys not contained within the NOPIMS can be requested directly from Geoscience Australia by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future releases of the NOPIMS will allow clients to search for information on cores, cuttings, gases, fluids, and slides held in the National Offshore Petroleum Data and Core Repository - a collaboration between Geoscience Australia, NOPTA, and the Geological Survey of Western Australia. Presently, clients can search for this information using PIMS online and Petroleum and Geothermal Information (WAPIMS).
Although data coverage and completeness will be initially limited to reports and data for open-file activities post 1 January 2012, the NOPIMS will be progressively populated over time with data for open-file activities prior to this date.
Geoscience Australia is currently working through the extensive build and testing phases of the NOPIMS. As Geoscience Australia and the service provider work through this process, it is necessary to restrict access to the full contents of the system.
- To request well and survey data from repository holdings please contact email@example.com
- To request to view and sample physical assets such as core, cuttings and fluids please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- To make other enquires regarding petroleum databases, scientific data or other petroleum information please contact email@example.com