Geoscience Australia actively participates in many cooperative projects at all levels of government and industry. These projects aim to promote standards and provide a simpler interface with our partners and clients.
Our parent department
- Geoscience Australia is now part of the Industry portfolio, effective 18 September 2013. Geoscience Australia was previously part of the Resources, Energy and Tourism portfolio, which was abolished on 18 September 2013, with most former Resources, Energy and Tourism functions now within the Industry portfolio.
Portals and collaborative websites
- Geoscience Portal - an initiative of the Australian Chief Government Geologists' Committee, which provides access to geoscience information from Federal, State and Territory Government levels.
- OzCoasts - comprehensive information about Australia's coast, including its estuaries and coastal waterways.
- Australian Mines Atlas - the Australian Atlas of mineral resources, mines, and processing centres.
As part of our commitment to e-Government, Geoscience Australia is an active member of several Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) and other Australian Government funded collaborative research centres.
- Bushfire CRC
- Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems CRC
- CO2 CRC
- National Environmental Research Program (NERP)
- CRC for Spatial Information (CRCSI)
- CRC for Landscape Environments and Mineral Exploration (CRC LEME) - concluded 30 June 2008
- Predictive Mineral Discovery CRC (pmd*CRC) - concluded 30 June 2008
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES)
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Defence Imagery and Geospatial Organisation
- Department of Environment
- Australian Emergency Management
- PSMA Australia
Australian geological surveys
- Queensland Government - Department of Natural Resources and Mines
- New South Wales Government - Trade & Investment, Resources & Energy
- South Australia Department of State Development - Minerals
- Energy and Earth Resources - Earth Resources in Victoria
- Geological Survey of Western Australia
- Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources Tasmania
- Northern Territory Geological Survey
Minerals and energy councils and peak bodies
- Chamber of Minerals and Energy, Western Australia
- Minerals Council of Australia
- Minerals Council of Australia - Northern Territory Division
- Minerals Council of Australia - Victorian Division
- New South Wales Mining
- Queensland Resources Council
- South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy
- Tasmanian Mining
Standards and policy initiatives
Geoscience Australia is a leader in the development of standards and policies in many aspects of geology, geophysics and spatial information. We currently contribute to the following standards and policy initiatives:
- AusGeoRef is a cooperative venture with the American Geological Institute. AusGeoRef includes more than 170 000 bibliographic references on Australia, drawn from journal literature, meeting proceedings and abstracts, books, reports and maps.
- Australia and New Zealand Land Information Council (ANZLIC) is the peak council for public sector spatial data management in Australia and New Zealand.
- Australian Spatial Data Directory (ASDD) provides search interfaces to geospatial dataset descriptions.
- Australian Spatial Data Infrastructure (ASDI) is a national initiative to provide better access for all Australians to essential spatial data.
- Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM) provides leadership through coordination and cooperation in surveying, mapping and charting.
- Office of Spatial Policy provides a wide range of information about the Australian Government's spatial data policy, including details about related cross-portfolio coordination bodies.
Industry and professional associations
Geoscience Australia works closely with a range of industry and professional associations involved in the geoscience and spatial information fields.
- Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association (APPEA)
- Association of Mining and Exploration Companies (AMEC)
- Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM)
- Australian Geothermal Energy Association
- Australian Geothermal Energy Group (AGEG)
- Australian Institute of Geoscientists
- Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (ASEG)
- Spatial Industry Business Association (SIBA)
- Geological Society of Australia
- International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH Australia)
- International Map Industry Association (IMIA)
- Mapping Sciences Institute, Australia
- Regional Committee of United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management for Asia and the Pacific (UN-GGIM-AP)
- Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI)