Mineral Exploration and Investment
Books, reports and brochures
Brochures and Flyers
- Australian Mines Atlas
- Exploring for the Future - a new phase of resource investment in northern Australia
- Iron Oxide-Copper-Gold Potential of the Southern Arunta Region - Data link
- Isotopic data and 'Searching the Deep Earth'
- Lake Tyrrell, Australia, and its Potential for Strategic Resources
- National ASTER Geoscience Maps
- National Geochemical Survey of Australia
- National Geophysical Data Compilations
- Nickel Resources and Potential of Australia
- OESP Onshore Petroleum
- Potash in Australian Acid Salt Lakes
- Spatial Information Gateway
- Unlocking Australia's hidden mineral resource potential
- Australian Energy Resource Assessment 2nd Edition 2014
- Australian Energy Resource Assessment Interim Report 2016
- Australian Mineral Exploration Review 2015-16
- Australia's Identified Mineral Resources 2016
- Australia's Mineral Resource Assessment
- Critical Commodities for a High-tech World
- Critical commodities in Australia - An assessment of extraction potential from ores
- Energy Security Program Achievements
- Major REE Deposits of Australia
- Minerals and Petroleum in Australia - a Guide for Investors 2017 Edition
- Neodymium Depleted Mantle Model Age Map of Australia (Explanatory notes and user guide)
- Platinum-group elements in Australia
- Potential for intrusion-hosted Ni-Cu-PGE sulfide deposits in Australia - all data or Report
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 1 or Report
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 2
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 3 or Report
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 4 or Report
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 5
- Regional geology and mineral systems of the Stavely region, western Victoria - Data release 6
- Southern Thomson Region Geochemical Survey, SW Queensland and NW New South Wales
Mine and Mineral Maps
The Australian Mines Atlas allows users to create their own PDF maps using the mineral deposits and occurrences layers provided. Maps can be customised with the additional infrastructure and geographic layers that are also available.
The quick search function on this website allows users to export the results of their commodity search to either a CSV or KML file for use in other programs.
- Australian Copper Resources Map 2010 Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Copper Resources Map 2010 Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian Gold Resources Map 2012 Edition Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Gold Resources Map 2012 Edition Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian In Situ Coal Resources 2012 Edition
- Australian In Situ Iron Ore Resources Map 2012 Edition Sheet 1 Hematite
- Australian In Situ Iron Ore Resources Map 2012 Edition Sheet 2 Magnetite
- Australian Lead and Zinc Resources Map 2010 Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Lead and Zinc Resources Map 2010 Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian Manganese Resources Map 2010 Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Manganese Resources Map 2010 Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian Nickel Resources Map 2010 Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Nickel Resources Map 2010 Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian Phosphate Resources Map 2009
- Australian Rare Earth Element Resources Map 2011-Sheet 1 Resources A2
- Australian Rare Earth Element Resources Map 2011-Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Australian Uranium Resources Map 2010 Sheet 1 Resources
- Australian Uranium Resources Map 2010 Sheet 2 Deposit Types
- Major Australian Petroleum Resources and Pipelines 2016
Surface geology and geophysical data
The most up-to-date geophysical datasets can be downloaded directly for free from the Geophysical Archive Data Download System. Datasets include:
There is a 2GB download limit. Please email email@example.com to request larger datasets.
Geophysical Maps - ready to print PDF maps
- Bouger Gravity Anomaly Map of Onshore Australia A3
- Complete Bouger Gravity Anomaly Map of Onshore Australia A3
- Isostatic Residual Gravity Anomaly Map 2nd Edition 2016 A3
- Magnetic Map of Australia 6th Edition 2015 A3
- Radiometric Map of Australia 3rd Edition 2015 A3
Index maps are available on the Geoscience Australia website. The Index of Airborne Geophysical Surveys document presents a summary of the specifications of most surveys held in the National Airborne Geophysical Database. Digital GIS files for the index are also available on the website.
- Aeromagnetic Survey Index Map 2014
- Gamma-ray Survey Index Map 2014
- Gravity Station Coverage over Australia Map 2016
- Gravity Station Location Map 2016
- Index of Airborne Geophysical Surveys 14th Edition
- Index of Gravity Surveys 2nd Edition
Seismic and magnetotelluric data
Seismic and magnetotelluric data can be downloaded for free from the Geoscience Australia website.
- Onshore Seismic and Magnetotelluric project
- OESP Deep Crustal Seismic Programs
- Magnetotelluric Surveys
Airborne electromagnetic (AEM)
All AEM survey data are publicly available through the Geoscience Australia Airborne Electromagnetics Project webpage.
Ready to print PDF map:
The Airborne Geophysical Surveys (ARGUS) Tool allows users to identify the datasets available using an interactive map.
Data visualisation tools
Interactive Maps is an online discovery and exploration view of Geoscience Australia's geospatial services. This tool allows a wide range of datasets, from geology and geophysics to hazards, satellite imagery and water, to be viewed, overlaid and exported as a PDF map. In many cases the underlying dataset may also be directly downloaded.
Explore Interactive Maps here (requires an internet connection).
EarthSci was developed at Geoscience Australia using the NASA World Wind SDK, for the purpose of providing an easy way of viewing the nation's datasets in either a national or global context.
EarthSci is a digital globe application capable of viewing most standard GIS Raster and Vector formats. The application is shipped with a number of Australian datasets that show various geological features in a national, or global, context. It is capable of loading web mapping services, so can be used to view data from many places around the internet, such as from Geoscience Australia.
Find out more about EarthSci (this requires an internet connection).
Note that some datasets require an internet connection. Without access to the internet you may not be able to view all of the datasets and/or their associated information pages.
- Airborne Electromagnetics Project
- Airborne Geophysical Surveys Database
- Australian Fundamental Gravity Network (AFGN)
- Geodesy and Global Navigation Systems
- Geophysical Archive Data Delivery System (GADDS)
- Geophysical Network
- Interactive Maps of Australia
- National Mineral Resources and Advice Project
- Onshore Petroleum Project
- Place Name Search
- Rock Properties Database
- Resources Advice and Minerals Promotion Section
- Satellite Imagery
- Seismic Acquisition and Processing Project
- Sentinel Bushfire Mapping
- Australian Mines Atlas
- Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Geological Society of Australia
- AUSGIN Australian Geoscience Information Network