East Tennant Project
The East Tennant project area sits within the Tennant Creek to Mount Isa focused integrated study area. It is located east of Tennant Creek and is defined by an approximately northeast-trending corridor extending for 350 km situated between Tennant Creek and the Queensland border. The East Tennant area is almost completely covered by sedimentary rocks of the Georgina Basin which obscure its potential to host mineral systems. Despite the lack of exposed basement rocks in the area, the East Tennant area was selected as an area for ongoing detailed geoscientific investigation through integration of new multi-disciplinary and multi-scale geoscience data.
The East Tennant region is characterised by a range of geological features that are favourable for mineral systems, including large-scale changes in lithospheric architecture and zones of high electrical conductivity in the crust and mantle. Detailed gravity and broadband magnetotelluric data acquired by the Exploring for the Future Program reveal crustal-scale conductivity pathways that coincide with regional faults.
Stratigraphic drilling was conducted as part of MinEx CRC’s National Drilling Initiative. Ten holes were drilled through a range of cover sequences and into basement for a total of nearly 4000 m including over 1500 m of diamond cored basement rocks. Data from this drilling program will better constrain the East Tennant basement geology and calibrate predictive mineral potential maps to further our understanding of the prospectivity of this promising region. Field data is available for download below and additional data will be progressively added as it becomes available.
Geoscience Australia’s activities in the East Tennant project area are being undertaken in collaboration with the Northern Territory Geological Survey and the MinEx CRC.
Data & Publications
- Solid geology map of the East Tennant region
- Borehole data from the East Tennant National Drilling Initiative campaign: NDIBK01, NDIBK02, NDIBK03, NDIBK04, NDIBK05, NDIBK06 , NDIBK07, NDIBK08, NDIBK09, NDIBK10.
- Minalyze data: NDIBK01, NDIBK02, NDIBK03, NDIBK04, NDIBK05 , NDIBK06, NDIBK07 and NDIBK08. Access to the Minalyze data package requires creating a free account. A video tutorial on how to navigate the Minalyze could interface can be accessed here.
- Processed HyLogger data: NDIBK01, NDIBK02, NDIBK03, NDIBK04, NDIBK05 , NDIBK06, NDIBK07, NDIBK08, NDIBK09 and NDIBK10.
- “Data integration for greenfields exploration: an example from the East Tennant region, Northern Territory” Exploring for the Future extended abstract
- “New SHRIMP U-Pb zircon and monazite geochronology of the East Tennant region: a possible undercover extension of the Warramunga Province, Tennant Creek” Exploring for the Future extended abstract
- East Tennant Magnetotelluric Survey:
- Northern Territory Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminar (March 2020), Extended Abstract: “Exploring for the Future: Integrated geoscience supporting exploration and discovery in the undercover Tennant Creek – Mount Isa region”
- East Tennant Gravity Survey P201901
- Data integration for greenfields exploration - Distinguished Geoscience Australia Lecture series presentation
- Exploring for the Future minerals roadshow presentations
- Exploring for the Future extended abstracts
- Iron oxide copper-gold (IOCG) mineral potential assessment for the Tennant Creek – Mt Isa region
- Producing Magnetite and Hematite Alteration Proxies using 3D Gravity and Magnetic Inversion: Method and results for the Tennant Creek—Mount Isa Project, northern Australia
- Mapping iron oxide Cu-Au (IOCG) mineral potential in Australia using a knowledge-driven mineral systems-based approach
- Resistivity model derived from magnetotellurics: AusLAMP-TISA project
- Depth to pre-Neoproterozoic rocks between Tennant Creek and Mt. Isa – A preliminary model
- Identification of a new gold event at Tennant Creek expands 'search space' for more discoveries, August 2018
- A shear-hosted Au-Cu-Bi metallogenic event at ~1660 Ma in the Tennant Creek goldfield (northern Australia) defined by in-situ monazite U-Pb-Th dating
- NT Resources Week (September 2019) – Presentations from the Uncovering East Tennant Workshop and Mining the Territory Conference