Acreage Release 2009
The regular release of offshore acreage is a key part of the Australian Government's strategy to encourage investment in petroleum exploration.
Thirty-one areas plus two special areas, located across five of Australia's offshore sedimentary basins are offered for petroleum exploration in the 2009 Acreage Release. The release areas range from frontier to mature status and offer opportunities for exploration companies of all sizes.
All the areas are available through a work program bidding system with closing dates for bids being 3 December 2009 and 29 April 2010. The release date is 1 June 2009.
The 2009 Release Areas are located in Commonwealth waters offshore Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria, comprising intensively explored areas close to existing production as well as new frontiers. As usual, the North West Shelf features very prominently and is complemented by new areas along the southern margin, including frontier exploration areas in the Ceduna Sub-basin (Bight Basin) and the Otway Basin.
Data supporting the 2009 Release Areas
- Seismic Workstation Packages 2009
- Geoscience Australia's Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release Data Room: Seismic data relevant to the 2009 acreage release round are available in workstation format for viewing and workup in Geoframe ™ and Kingdom ® . Associated digital well data also are accessible.
- 2009 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Areas CD-ROM: The CD-ROM will assist prospective applicants in preparing an exploration area application. It contains an 'Overview for Applicants', 'Guidance Notes for Applicants', geology summaries and listings of available data including seismic, well and sample data. Available at: the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
Project Manager, Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release
Phone: +61 2 6249 9239
In support of the annual offshore acreage release process Geoscience Australia over the last 3 years has provided seismic data in ‘workstation ready’ packages allowing industry to load the data directly into their interpretation platforms saving considerable time and expense.
These are available in in GeoFrame™ 4.4 , Kingdom® 8.2 and Landmark™2003 formats packaged on a 2TB external hard drive:
- containing all available 2D and 3D seismic in release areas
- well logs, well completion reports, destructive analysis reports and tiff images
Limited interpretation from the North West Shelf and Bight regions is also contained in the package.
2D projects have been divided into main regional areas and contain culture data such as the regional 250 metre bathymetric grid, shapefiles of the release blocks, oil fields, gas fields and pipelines. Well header information has been loaded into each area project. The well logs are available on the drive for loading as required. 3D surveys are loaded as separate projects.
Download the Seismic Workstation Packages 2009 information file to receive spatial information on the data included and the order form for Acreage Release 2009 data.
Geophysical Analysis and Data Access
Ph: +61 2 6249 9704
Topic contact: email@example.com Last updated: May 31, 2012