Acreage Release 2010
The regular release of offshore acreage is a key part of the Australian Government's strategy to encourage investment in petroleum exploration. The 2010 Release Areas are located in Commonwealth waters offshore Northern Territory, Western Australia, and South Australia.
A total of thirty-one new exploration areas in five offshore sedimentary basins are offered for work program bidding. Closing dates for bid submissions are either six or twelve months after the release date, i.e. 11 November 2010 or 12 May 2011, depending on the exploration status in these areas and on data availability.
The Westralian Superbasin along the North West Shelf, comprising the Bonaparte, Browse, Roebuck and Carnarvon basins, features prominently again in the 2010 Release and is complemented by a new frontier area in offshore SW Australia (Mentelle Basin) and by two areas in the Ceduna/Duntroon Sub-basins in the eastern part of the Bight Basin.
The 2010 Offshore Acreage Release offers a wide variety of block sizes in shallow as well as deep water environments. Area selection has been undertaken in consultation with industry, the states and Northern Territory. Many areas are close to existing infrastructure while others are located in frontier offshore regions. Therefore, the 2010 Acreage Release is of interest to all exploration companies, whether they are small or large, multinationals or independents.
Data supporting the 2010 Release Areas
- 2010 Acreage Release Data Packages: Seismic data are available in GeoFrame™, Kingdom® and Landmark™ formats.
Digital well completion reports and logs for specific wells are available in original format.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +61 2 6249 9222
- Geoscience Australia's Data Room: Seismic data relevant to the 2010 acreage release round are available in workstation format for viewing and workup in Geoframe™ and Kingdom®. Associated digital well data are also accessible.
- 2010 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release website: This site assists prospective applicants in preparing applications for exploration permits. It contains an 'Overview for Applicants', 'Guidance Notes for Applicants', geology summaries and listings of available data including well, drill-core and sample analytical data.
Available at: www.petroleum-acreage.gov.au
Project Manager, Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release
Phone: +61 2 6249 9239
2010 Acreage Release Data Packages
In support of the annual offshore acreage release process, Geoscience Australia has, over the last four years, provided seismic data in a 'workstation ready' package to allow industry to load the data directly into their interpretation platforms; saving considerable time and expense.
These workstation packages are available in GeoFrame™ 4.4 , Kingdom™ 8.2 and Landmark™ 2003 formats and are packaged on a 2TB external hard drive that contains:
- all available open-file 2D and 3D seismic in the release areas
- well logs, well completion reports, destructive analysis reports and tiff images of scanned well log plots
Seismic interpretations are provided for the newly released Mentelle area. Previously delivered limited interpretation over the North West Shelf for the 13 Geoscience Australia surveys are also included.
The 2010 data package contains approximately 49 000km2 of 3D and 330 000kms of 2D. 2D projects have been divided into the five main release areas and contain culture data such as the regional 250m bathymetric grid, potential field grids, shapefiles of the release blocks, oil fields, gas fields and pipelines. Well header information has also been loaded into each project. The well logs, if available, are on the workstation package drive and can be loaded as required. 3D surveys are loaded as individual projects. Seismic data for the 2007 and 2008 releases was loaded as 8 bit. The 2009 and 2010 seismic data has been loaded as 16 bit.
Download the 2010 Seismic Workstation Information folder and/or order form containing Excel spreadsheets, kml and shapefiles for all 2D and 3D seismic.
A/G Project Leader
Geophysical Analysis and Data Access
Ph: +61 2 6249 9704
Topic contact: email@example.com Last updated: May 8, 2013