Acreage Release 2013
The regular release of offshore acreage is a key part of the Australian Government's strategy to encourage investment in petroleum exploration. The 2013 Release Areas are located in Commonwealth waters offshore Northern Territory, Western Australia and Victoria.
A total of thirty-one new exploration areas in six offshore sedimentary basins are offered for work program bidding. Closing dates for bid submissions are either six or twelve months after the release date, i.e. 21 November 2013 or 22 May 2014, depending on the exploration status in these areas and on data availability.
Area sizes vary from 80 square kilometres to 134 668 square kilometres. The largest release areas are located offshore from the Northern Territory and Western Australia in underexplored regions of the Browse Basin, the northern Exmouth Plateau and the offshore northern Perth Basin. Two areas in the Otway and Gippsland Basins, offshore from Victoria, complete the 2013 Acreage Release.
New data acquired in the northern Perth Basin as part of Geoscience Australia’s recently completed Offshore Energy Security Program supports two key areas in this year’s release. This data has been interpreted and integrated with existing datasets to provide a comprehensive assessment of the potential hydrocarbon prospectivity of this offshore frontier.
The gazettal of areas for the 2013 release was well supported by industry nominations. Many areas are close to existing infrastructure while others are located in underexplored offshore regions. Therefore, the 2013 Acreage Release is of interest to all exploration companies, whether they are small or large, multinationals, independents or national oil companies.
Data supporting the 2013 Release Areas
- 2013 Acreage Release Data Packages: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +61 2 6249 9222
- 2013 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release website : This site assists prospective applicants in preparing applications for exploration permits. It contains an 'Overview for Applicants', 'Guidance Notes for Applicants', geology summaries and listings of available data including well, drill-core and sample analytical data.
- Seismic survey listings [XLS 122KB] of all identified 2D and 3D surveys that intersect any one of the 2013 release areas.
Dr Tom Bernecker
Section Leader: Acreage Release, Prospectivity Products & Promotion
Basin Resources Group, Energy Division
Phone: +61 2 6249 9239
In support of the annual offshore acreage release process, Geoscience Australia has, over the last six years, provided seismic data in a 'workstation ready' package to allow industry to load the data directly into their interpretation platforms; saving considerable time and expense.
These workstation packages are available in GeoFrame™4.5 and Kingdom™8.5 formats and exported SEGY with navigation in the headers ready for loading into any platform. Data is packaged on two external hard drives that contain:
- open-file 2D and 3D seismic in the release areas plus relevant culture data
- well logs, well completion reports, destructive analysis reports and tiff images of scanned well log plots.
Previously delivered limited interpretation over the North West Shelf for the 13 Geoscience Australia surveys are also included.
The 2013 data package contains approximately 76 500 sq kms of 3D and 524 900 kms of 2D seismic. The 2D projects have been divided into six main regional areas over the acreage and have a variety of culture data loaded. Seismic coverage in each release area is show in the images below. New seismic data for the 2013 release has been loaded primarily as 16 bit.
Download the 2013 Seismic Workstation Information folder and order form containing Excel spreadsheets, kml and shapefiles for all 2D and 3D seismic.
Seismic Data Coverage for Release Areas
- Northern Petrel Sub-basin and Malita Graben [JPEG 1.2MB]
- Southern Petrel Sub-basin [JPEG 1.1MB]
- Vulcan Sub-basin [JPEG 1.1MB]
- Caswell Sub-basin [JPEG 1MB]
- Barcoo Sub-basin [JPEG 1.2MB]
- Exmouth Plateau [JPEG 1.1MB]
- Dampier, Beagle and Barrow Sub-basins [JPEG 1.1MB]
- Investigator Sub-basin [JPEG 1.3MB]
- Exmouth Sub-basin and Southern Exmouth Plateau [JPEG 1.3MB]
- Northern Perth Basin [JPEG 1MB]
- Otway Basin [JPEG 1.1MB]
- Gippsland Basin [JPEG 1.2MB]
Mr Andrea Cortese
Geoscientist: Geophysical Analysis and Data Access
Innovation and Specialist Services Group Energy Division
Ph: +61 2 6249 9129
Topic contact: email@example.com Last updated: April 7, 2014