Petroleum Data Repository Project
Geoscience Australia houses one of the world’s largest collections of petroleum data. Much of this data is non-confidential and available to the petroleum industry, research organisations and the public. The collection includes seismic survey data and well data submitted by industry under legislative requirements as well as data collected by research projects and marine surveys undertaken by Geoscience Australia or other government agencies or institutions.
The collections comprise three kinds of data:
- Physical specimens and samples of geoscience material such as samples from petroleum wells and stratigraphic holes, down hole drill cores and cuttings, onshore side wall core samples, thin sections, reservoir plugs, liquid and gas hydrocarbon samples
- Digital data such as:
- 2D and 3D seismic survey field data, navigation data, processed data, velocity data, observer's logs, operational reports, processing reports, bathymetry data, potential field data (gravity and magnetic)
- well completion reports, well logs, destructive analysis reports, vertical seismic profiles, core photography, special studies
- databases compiled from data/reports/interpretations from government activities or submitted by industry under legislation.
- Hard-copies submitted during the pre-digital era including seismic sections and other analogue formats
Search for Petroleum Data
- Search Wells - search for well data and information, download data, produce online graphs and reports. Data includes well header data, biostratigraphy, reservoir characteristics, velocity surveys, directional surveys, and organic geochemistry.
- Search Repository - PIMS is a search tool for discovery of survey and well data and physical samples held by the Data Repository. Data can be ordered via an online form. Although this is public data, fees are charged to cover the cost of transcription and delivery. See the current Price Schedule [PDF 73KB] [DOC 313KB]
- To request well and survey data from repository holdings please contact email@example.com
- To request to view and sample physical assets such as core, cuttings and fluids please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- To make other enquires regarding petroleum databases, scientific data or other petroleum information please contact email@example.com
Topic contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Last updated: September 26, 2013