Earthquake Hazard Risk Contour Map (National Geoscience Dataset)
Note : This dataset description is metadata (data about data) which describes the actual dataset in accordance with the ANZLIC (Australia New Zealand Land Information Council) Core Metadata Guidelines Version 2.
Dataset citationANZLIC unique identifier: ANZCW0703002393
Title: Earthquake Hazard Risk Contour Map (National Geoscience Dataset)
CustodianCustodian: Geoscience Australia
DescriptionAbstract: This dataset is the Earthquake Hazard Risk Contour Map for Australia based on earthquake measurements taken from the Geoscience Australia Earthquake Database. It shows the acceleration coefficient (a) 10 percent chance of being exceeded in the next 50 years. Thus a value of 0.05 as an example means that in any 50 year period, there is a 90% chance that the peak ground acceleration will not exceed 0.05. Where peak ground acceleration is a dimensionless coefficient of acceleration that is used by civil engineers to estimate forces on structures. High values of this calculation represent higher risk areas of earthquake occurrence. ANZLIC search words and qualifiers:
Geographic extent name: AUSTRALIA INCLUDING EXTERNAL TERRITORIES - AUSAAT - Australia
Note: The format for each Geographic extent name is: Name - Identifier - Category - Jurisdiction (as appropriate) See GEN Register
Geographic bounding box:
Data currencyBeginning date: 1990-01-01
Ending date: 1998-09-01
Dataset statusProgress: Complete
Maintenance and update frequency: as needed
AccessStored data format:
Available data format:
Access constraints: Free to download
This is an interpretive data set based on data derived from GA's World Earthquake Database. Using earthquake locations and measurements from the database, contours reflecting potential earthquake hazard were digitised in Arcinfo for the Australian mainland. In 1997 the 1:1 000 000 scale GA approved coastline was added to the data set and items feature and UFI have been added to complete the quality assurance.
Nominal Scale 1:1,000,000
A geoscientist visually inspected the finished dataset to make sure the attributes were accurate and the data were consistent spatially with current scientific information. Tests are also carried out on these data for data completeness, correct spatial representation, attribute accuracy, logical consistency and correctness, and where appropriate for compliance with Geoscience Australia's GIS data dictionary.
The dataset coverage is complete for the whole of continental Australia.
Contact informationContact organisation: Commonwealth of Australia (Geoscience Australia)
Position: Manager Client Services
Address: Cnr Jerrabomberra Ave and Hindmarsh Dr
Address: GPO Box 378
Phone: 02 6249 9966
Fax: 02 6249 9960
Metadata informationMetadata date: 1998-11-13 00:00:00.0
Additional metadatapolygon items:- feature feature type EQRISK_UNIT ufi unique numeric identifier value values of the acceleration coefficient (a) 10% chance of being exceeded in 50 years riskval 3 band classification of the above values
McCue, K. , Kilgour, B.
This report was generated on 18 May 2013.
SPATIAL INFORMATION FOR THE NATION