Continental Geophysics Section
Geoscience Australia's Continental Geophysics Section is an active concentration of specialists engaged in the acquisition, processing, archiving, enhancement, presentation and interpretation in the fields of airborne geophysics and gravity. The team also is involved in the development of new computational methods which can be applied to geophysical data. The Section's products and services are used by:
- other projects in Geoscience Australia engaged in studies of mineral systems, geological mapping, mineral province studies, sedimentary basin studies and definition of the geoid, as well as land use and environmental projects
- exploration companies
- organisations involved in the identification of areas at risk of salinity and its management
- agricultural and environmental organisations
- organisations developing infrastructure projects
- educational and research institutions
- other government departments.
Geoscience Australia is the custodian of the most comprehensive publicly available Australian airborne magnetic, gamma-ray, elevation model and electromagnetic database and gravity database. The airborne geophysics database contains approximately 32.8 million line kilometres of data, which, at current prices, would cost approximately $197 million to acquire. The gravity database contains more than 1.57 million reliable onshore stations gathered during more than 1800 surveys. All the products and research results from the Continental Geophysics Section are publicly available for use by other government agencies, industry and research and educational institutions. Data from the Section is available also for inter-governmental and private sector cooperative acquisition, interpretation, research and training projects.
- New insights into Australia's onshore energy and mineral potential.
- Enhanced exploration strategies, promotion of mineral exploration opportunities and improved environmental management in Australia.
Section deliverables 2012-13
- National Geophysical Databases and Maps
- Research into the development and application of computational methods for geophysical data inversion and building 3D geological models
- Maintenance of the Geophysical Archival Data Delivery System (GADDS)
- Maintenance of the Airborne Surveys web application
- Development of a National AEM database as part of the National Airborne Geophysical Database
- Management of data acquisition for the States/NT under National Collaboration Framework (NCF) Agreements
Australian Fundamental Gravity Network (AFGN)
- Support, maintenance and delivery of the Australian gravity reference datum
- Deep Exploration Technologies Cooperative Research Centre (DETCRC) Project
- Integration of geophysical and petrophysical data and production of constrained geophysical models for the DETCRC data integration and mineralisation targeting project.
Topic contact: email@example.com Last updated: October 4, 2013