Geoscience Australia's 2015 Top GeoShot photographic competition is now open.
The theme for this year's competition is "Rock Stars" with a closing date of 1 September 2015.
To participate, simply take a photograph that represents rock features in the Australian landscape.
There are three categories for this year's competition:
Open 18 years +
Intermediate 13-17 years old
Junior 12 years and under.
There are two options for submitting your photograph.
The first option is using Flickr, and the second is via email.
Flickr will be used as a photo album to display all the entries received. This will allow everyone to see the fantastic entries and be inspired by Australia's amazing locations!
[Download a flyer PDF 751KB] for the competition details and put it up at work, school or your local noticeboard.
How to enter
Option 1 - Flickr entry
Not Familiar with Flickr?
Flickr is an online photo sharing website that is made up of many groups, including 'Top GeoShot 2015'. Follow the instructions below to submit your image.
Instructions for entering your image using Flickr
- Go to www.flickr.com.
- Note: You will be asked to sign in using a Yahoo account. If you don't have an existing account you can click on the 'Sign up for Flickr' button and follow the prompts to sign up for a Yahoo account linked to Flickr.
- Click on the 'Groups' drop down on the menu bar across the top of the page.
- Select 'Search Groups'.
- Type 'Top GeoShot 2015' into the Search box and click the 'Search' button.
- Click on the 'Top GeoShot 2015' link, which will be returned as your search result.
- Join the Top GeoShot 2015 group by clicking the 'Join Group' button.
- View the Group Description and Group Rules provided on this page. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and select the 'I Agree' button to proceed.
- Select 'Upload' from the top menu bar.
- Click on the 'Choose photos and videos' button, then browse to the file location of your image.
- Follow the prompts to upload your photo.
Important: Please type the title of your photo in the 'Add a title' box, and the location where the image was taken (area and state) in the 'Add a description' box.
- Using the options on the left add your image to the 'Top Geoshot 2015' group using the 'Add to Groups' link.
- Email email@example.com and provide:
- Your full name
- Flickr ID
- Postal address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Competition category (Open, Intermediate or Junior)
- Image title, image location, image description
- Link to your photograph on Flickr e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70656999@N05/6396603481/in/photostream
That's it! You've entered. Once Geoscience Australia has received your entry email and approved your entry, your photo will be added to the Flickr group. Check the Flickr site in a few days to confirm your photo has been successfully added.
You can enter up to five photographs to the competition.
Best of all, by using Flickr, everyone in our online community can see your photos and be inspired by Australia's amazing locations!
Option 2 - email submission
If you prefer not to enter using Flickr, you can email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will upload it to Flickr on your behalf.
- Take a photograph that represents rock features and formations in the Australian landscape.
- Attach it to an email and send it to email@example.com with your full name, postal address, phone number, email address, category, image title, image location, and image description.
- You can enter up to five photographs to the competition.
Please copy and paste this into your email when submitting entry details.
Flickr name (if needed)
Link to your photograph on Flickr
A panel of Geoscience Australia staff will select the winning images.
Winners will receive a professionally framed enlargement of their image and a copy of Shaping a Nation: a geology of Australia.