Geoscience Australia's 2014 Top GeoShot photographic competition is now open.
The theme for this year's competition is "Great Southern Land" with a closing date of 12 September 2014.
To participate, simply take a photograph that demonstrates a geological or geographical feature of Australia's landscape that represents our great southern land.
There are two categories for this year's competition:
Student Category (up to Year 12)
This year there are two options for submitting your photograph.
The first option is using Flickr, and the second is via email as used in previous years.
Flickr will also be used as a photo album to display all the entries received. This will allow everyone to see the fantastic entries and be inspired by Australia's amazing locations!
[Download a flyer PDF, 353.32 KB] for the competition and put it up at work, school or your local club.
How to enter
Option 1 - Flickr entry
Not Familiar with Flickr?
Flickr is an online photo sharing website that is made up of many groups, including 'Top GeoShot 2014'. Follow the instructions below to submit your image to the 2014 Top GeoShot Photo Competition.
Instructions for entering your image using Flickr
- Go to www.flickr.com.
- Note: You will be asked to sign in using a Yahoo account. If you don't have an existing account you can click on the 'Sign up for Flickr' button and follow the prompts to sign up for a Yahoo account linked to Flickr.
- Click on the 'Communities' drop down on the menu bar across the top of the page.
- Select 'Search Groups'.
- Type 'Top GeoShot 2014' into the Search box and click the 'Search' button.
- Click on the 'Top GeoShot 2014' link, which will be returned as your search result.
- Join the Top GeoShot 2014 group by clicking the 'Join Group' button.
- View the Group Description and Group Rules provided on this page. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and select the 'I Agree' button to proceed.
- Select 'Upload' from the top menu bar.
- Click on the 'Choose photos and videos' button, then browse to the file location of your image.
- Follow the prompts to upload your photo.
Important: Please type the title of your photo in the 'Add a title' box, and the location where the image was taken (area and state) in the 'Add a description' box.
- Add your image to the 'Top Geoshot 2014' group using the 'Add to Groups' link.
- Email email@example.com and provide:
- Your full name
- Flickr ID
- Postal address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Competition category (Open or Student)
- Image title, image location, image description
- Link to your photograph on Flickr e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70656999@N05/6396603481/in/photostream
That's it! You've entered. Once Geoscience Australia has received your entry email and approved your entry, your photo will be added to the Flickr group. Check the Flickr site in a few days to confirm your photo has been successfully added.
You can enter as many photographs to the competition with as many photographs as you like.
Best of all, by using Flickr, everyone in our online community can see your photos and be inspired by Australia's amazing locations!
Option 2 - email submission
If you are prefer not to enter using Flickr, you can email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will upload it to Flickr on your behalf.
- Take a photo relating to Earth science (geography and geology) in Australia.
- Attach it to an email and send it to email@example.com with your full name, postal address, phone number, email address, category, image title, image location, and image description.
- You can enter the competition with as many photographs as you like.
Please copy and paste this into your email when submitting entry details.
Flickr name (if needed)
Competition category (Open or Student for entrants up to Year 12)
Link to your photograph on Flickr
A panel of Geoscience Australia staff will select the winning images. Winners receive a professionally framed enlargement of their image and their image will be displayed in Geoscience Australia's foyer in Canberra for the year.