How do I search the database?
The database can be searched using a bounding box to highlight an area on the map, by location search in a catchment or Local Government Area or by map point. A search can also be made by certain non-geospatial metadata items.
Search by bounding box
- Highlight the search area by either:
- selecting the Bounding Box tool and drawing a rectangle on the map, or
- entering North-South latitudes and East-West longitudes in the Bounds fields.
- Click the Search button. The section results will list all floods studies where the geographic centre of the study area is inside the selected area.
Search by location and region
- Highlight a point on the map by either:
- entering the town name in the Location Lookup field, and selecting one of the autocomplete entries, or
- selecting the Point Marker tool and clicking on the map, or
- entering latitude and longitude in the Location Lookup fields.
- Set the Include Studies in Same to Catchment or Local Government Area.
- Click the search button. The section results will list all flood studies where the geographic centre of the study area is inside the same region as the selected point.
- Use the Advanced Options to refine an area of interest for the map-based search, or on their own. All search parameters are cumulative - the system will only return studies that meet every condition.
Use the Zoom In and Zoom Out buttons to focus on an area of interest.
Use the Full Extent button to return the map to the default extent.
Use the Previous Extent button to undo the previous zoom action.
Use the Pan button to navigate the map by clicking and dragging the mouse to move the map. Double click, or scroll the mouse wheel upwards, to zoom in. Scroll the mouse wheel downwards to zoom out. Hold shift, click and drag to form a box of interest to zoom in to.
Use the Zoom Box button then click and drag to form a box of interest to zoom in.
Use the Bounding Box button to return all results in a bounding box defined by its four corners. The corresponding coordinates will be displayed in the Bounds fields.
Use the Point Marker button to select a point on the map. The corresponding coordinates will be displayed in the Latitude and Longitude fields.
After performing a search, use the Information button to query a flood study marker by either clicking on an individual marker, or clicking and dragging to form a query box of interest. The corresponding flood study will be displayed in the Detail pane.
Use the Layers button to change the base layer and overlays of the map.
To expand or contract the right side pane click, drag the vertical bar to the immediate right of the map.