Tennant Creek - Mt Isa Focus Area
The Tennant Creek to Mount Isa region hosts known mineral deposits in exposed Proterozoic rocks, most notably iron oxide copper-gold mineral systems in the Tennant Creek area, and basin-hosted base metals (zinc, lead) and uranium in the McArthur Basin. However, despite the known presence of these mineral systems, the region remains under-explored beneath cover, which is also likely to host similarly-prospective rocks.
Integrated studies of the Tennant Creek-Mount Isa region aimed to boost the exploration attractiveness of the region and facilitate future exploration success through improved understanding of the regional stratigraphic and events framework and through mineral potential assessments under cover.
Initial activities in the Tennant Creek-Mount Isa region were focused on improving data coverage in covered areas through sampling of existing boreholes and producing mineral potential assessments for iron oxide copper-gold and basin-hosted mineral systems. Following these initial interpretations, several key regions of interest were identified and became the focus of additional data acquisition and updates to geological and mineral system models. Integrated studies have drawn on a range of other Exploring for the Future activities, including energy-focused studies in the South Nicholson Basin region.
Ultimately, new interpretations in the Tennant Creek-Mount Isa region form the basis for a planned pre-competitive stratigraphic drilling program as part of the MinEx CRC National Drilling Initiative. This drilling will test hypotheses and provide new geological constraints in poorly-understood parts of the region.
- Mineral potential assessments for iron oxide copper-gold are complete while basin-hosted mineral systems assessments are underway;
- Sampling of boreholes and other existing rock samples has been undertaken to characterise regional stratigraphic packages and tectonic events.
- Compilation of geoscientific data from legacy boreholes in the Tennant Creek - Mt Isa region;
- Mineral potential maps for iron oxide copper-gold style mineralisation;
- Mapping of Magnetite and Hematite Alteration Proxies using 3D Gravity and Magnetic Inversion;
- Assessments of basin-hosted Zn-Pb-Cu-U mineral system potential for selected basins in the Tennant Creek-Mt Isa region;
- Selection of sites for stratigraphic drilling in selected regions within the Tennant-Isa project area that will characterise the nature and temporal evolution of cover, facilitate a new understanding of the geodynamic evolution of the hidden basement geology and provide a framework for the mineral systems analysis.
- The Tennant Creek-Mt Isa region incorporates parts of the Northern Territory and Queensland, and work is undertaken in the region in collaboration with the Northern Territory Geological Survey and the Geological Survey of Queensland. In addition, stratigraphic drilling activities were undertaken in the region as part of the National Drilling Initiative, a major program of the MinEx CRC.
Data & Publications
- East Tennant Magnetotelluric Survey data and conductivity model
- Northern Territory Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminar (March 2020), Extended Abstract: “Exploring for the Future: Integrated geoscience supporting exploration and discovery in the under cover Tennant Creek – Mount Isa region”
- NT Resources Week – Presentations from the Uncovering East Tennant Workshop and Mining the Territory Conference, September 2019
- Iron oxide copper-gold (IOCG) mineral potential assessment for the Tennant Creek – Mt Isa region: geospatial data release, Murr et al., 2019
- Mapping iron oxide Cu-Au (IOCG) mineral potential in Australia using a knowledge-driven mineral systems-based approach, Skirrow et al., 2019
- East Tennant Gravity Survey P201910, NT, 2019
- Producing Magnetite and Hematite Alteration Proxies using 3D Gravity and Magnetic Inversion: Method and results for the Tennant Creek—Mount Isa Project, northern Australia, Goodwin and Skirrow 2019
- Resistivity model derived from magnetotellurics: AusLAMP-TISA project, 2019
- Depth to pre-Neoproterozoic rocks between Tennant Creek and Mt. Isa – A preliminary model
- Identification of a new gold event at Tennant Creek expands 'search space' for more discoveries, August 2018 [PDF 876.4 KB] [DOCX 1.1 MB]
- Article – New government research could have industry fighting for ground, August, 2019