Geodetic Calculation Methods
Online calculations and downloadable spreadsheets to perform geodetic calculations
Detailed information about the spreadsheets and formulae used in all calculations listed below can be found in the Geocentric Datum of Australia Technical Manual.
Note: Read the documentation describing the distance calculation algorithms to decide which method best suits your requirements.
Calculate Great Circle distances using latitude and longitude.
- Online version: Great Circle Calculator - 'As the Cocky Flies'
- Great Circle and Approximate Ellipsoidal [XLS, 18 KB] which calculates distances using two different simplified methods.
Calculate bearing and distance from latitude and longitude
Use Vincenty's formulae to calculate distance and bearing from latitude and longitude and vice versa.
- Online version
- Vincenty Direct
- Vincenty Inverse
- Vincenty's formulae to calculate distance and bearing from latitude and longitude [XLS, 71 KB]
Note: Please have the Excel program 'Tools|Options|Calculation|Iteration' box selected so you do not get a circular reference in this file.
Use Redfearn's formulae to convert between latitude and longitude and UTM coordinates and vice versa.
- Online version
- Grid to Geographic
- Geographic to Grid
- Redfearn's formulae to convert between latitude and longitude [XLS, 46 KB]
- High Accuracy Transformation Grids - Recommended method (only available for use within Australia)
- Medium Accuracy 3 Dimensional Similarity Transformation [XLS, 31 KB] which computes a similarity transformation and converts between geodetic coordinates and Earth centered Cartesian coordinates - (latitude, longitude, ellipsoidal height <-> X Y Z)
- Low Accuracy Molodensky's method [XLS, 33 KB] which transforms between AGD66 and AGD84 and GDA94
- Low Accuracy Block Shift [XLS, 360.5 KB] for average size of the block shifts between AGD66 and AGD84 and GDA94, computed for 1:250 000 topographic map areas across Australia.
Transformation of coordinates
The following are available for download but are not yet available as online calculations.