Your earth sciences career starts here! Our graduate program gives you the opportunity to work in a diverse scientific environment and apply the skills you have gained at university to practical work for the benefit of all Australians.
We’re hiring graduates with degrees in:
- spatial analysis.
In addition to academic qualifications, we’re looking for graduates who respect and value others, enjoy working in a team, have highly developed written and oral communication skills, and are comfortable using data and technology.
About the Program
Through the graduate program you will be offered an ongoing APS4 position with Geoscience Australia and start on day one in your ongoing role. This gives you the time to learn the ropes, and get to know your team and your supervisor.
After you’ve had some time to get the hang of things, you’ll then start rotations in different work areas across the organisation (and sometimes to external organisations we partner with) to build professional networks and apply your expertise in different ways.
You’ll have access to great employee support networks, a buddy from our graduate alumni and the support of your graduate peers. In addition, you’ll benefit from a mentoring relationship with our Chief Scientist.
You’ll continue to grow in your role through regular performance feedback and a graduate learning program. At the end of the 12 months, you’ll be ready to progress in your discipline to an ongoing APS5 position with us.
To apply for our graduate program you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be an Australian citizen on the date you lodge your application.
- You must have completed an Australian-recognised undergraduate degree in the areas we’re recruiting for by the end of the calendar year in which you apply.
- Your degree must be no more than four years old on the date you lodge your application. The minimum requirement is a bachelor degree. Graduates who have completed a double degree or honours degree are eligible to apply.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline level security clearance.
- You must undergo and satisfy a police history check.
- You must be willing and able to move to Canberra prior to commencing employment.
You’ll love working with us because:
- we offer an attractive starting salary at the Australian Public Service (APS) 4 level and generous entitlements, including 15.4 per cent superannuation.
- we embrace flexible working arrangements, like working flexibly between 7 am and 7 pm or moving to part-time work to balance work and life commitments.
- you’ll benefit from regular feedback and support to develop professionally throughout the program and your career.
- we’re located in Canberra where you can explore our cultural institutions and urban hotspots in Braddon, New Acton or the Kingston Foreshore, hike in our national parks or take a short drive to some amazing locations.
- we respect and value the diversity of experiences and perspectives everyone brings which strengthens the way we work and the outcomes we achieve.
We will help you relocate to Canberra. To do this we provide:
- a relocation package to assist with your removal and travel expenses
- temporary accommodation in Canberra to give you time to find a permanent place to live (limited to four weeks).
How to apply
Apply for the Graduate Program by telling us (in no more than 700 words) how your work-related personal qualities, knowledge, experience and qualifications make you the best person to join our program.
You will need to submit your statement and resume through our job applications portal by 11:59 pm AEST 6 September 2020.
If you have any questions you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 6249 9777.
We will be hosting two online information sessions about the Graduate Program for people who would like to know more. The sessions will be held on:
- Wednesday 19 August 2020 at 12:30 AEST
- Wednesday 26 August 2020 at 19:00 AEST
Register your interest to attend by emailing email@example.com.
Our selection process
Our selection process may involve online or practical assessments, interviews and reference checks. You will be contacted by phone if you are invited to participate in the next stage of assessment.
Letters of offer are anticipated to be provided to successful graduates in November 2020.
We value the diversity of our employees and are dedicated to providing a positive and supportive workplace.
Find out more about our culture here.
We are the nations trusted advisor on the geology and geography of Australia. Through the Graduate Program you can make creative and positive contributions that directly impact the community and the nation.
Find out about our work here
Meet a Graduate
View previous graduate experiences and get an insight into our program.