About Graduate program
Last updated:8 August 2023
Your earth sciences career launches here!
Our graduate program gives you the opportunity to work in a diverse scientific environment and apply the skills you have gained at university to practical work in advancing Earth sciences for Australia’s Future.
Geoscience Australia currently intakes graduates every two years, we will be seeking talent for the 2025 graduate program in mid-2024. If you would like to be notified when our graduate program is advertised please forward an email to email@example.com.
To register for temporary employment opportunities or apply for current vacancies please review our careers page.
What you will love about working with us:
As a graduate at Geoscience Australia, we unlock your access to a science career in the Australian Public Service like no other organisation. You will participate in challenging and meaningful work that delivers real impact to Australians, such as our Exploring for the Future program or the Digital Atlas of Australia.
Why you should choose Geoscience Australia for your graduate experience:
We offer a highly customised graduate program, tailoring your learning experience based on your unique skills and career direction. You will start the program in your home placement area, building lasting professional relationships with your team and stakeholders. You will then undertake two rotations in diverse science areas to expand your skills and experience for a successful science career in the Australian Public Service.
Our graduates have access to unparalleled on-the-job learning, from participating in research field trips in rural and regional Australia, through to excursions with our partner organisations. Our Chief Scientist, Dr. Steve Hill, also hosts monthly graduate workshops to foster science excellence and professional development.
We offer a competitive salary and ongoing employment upon successful completion of our Graduate Program:
- A starting salary over $68,000 upon commencement as an APS4 Graduate, plus 15.4% superannuation
- Advancement to an ongoing APS5 position upon successful completion of the graduate program, including an annual salary of over $75,000 plus 15.4% superannuation
Be part of our progressive and inclusive culture:
- An award-winning organisational culture that promotes diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging
- Progressive flexible working arrangements and generous leave entitlements
Gain access to industry-leading development opportunities:
- A structured 12-month program that includes rotations in diverse science areas across the organisation or with our external partners
- Ongoing support for your studies and professional development, including an attractive study assistance and scholarships program
- A blended learning and development model that supports you with targeted on the job learning, mentorship, buddies, online learning and regular workshops with our Graduate Sponsor and Chief Scientist, Dr. Steve Hill
- Home to world class resources and facilities, including the National Mineral and Fossil Collection
Enjoy working in a vibrant cultural hub:
- Located in Canberra, the Nation’s Capital, where government, industry and academia meet. Canberra is home to many National Cultural institutions, filled with urban hotspots like Braddon, New Acton or the Kingston Foreshore, surrounded by national parks and only a short drive to some amazing locations
- Free parking and gym facilities on site in our Canberra offices
What you will bring:
We are looking for applicants with graduate or postgraduate qualifications in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM). We strongly encourage applicants who have completed study in one or more of the following areas:
- spatial analysis
- software engineering
In addition to tertiary qualifications, we’re looking for people with:
- curious minds to pursue excellence in science and innovation
- communication skills that can tell the story to their stakeholders
- resilience to adapt and see things through to the end
- enthusiasm to make an impact as part of the Australian Public Service
- respect and integrity to contribute to our inclusive culture
- data and digital literacy
Do you think you could add value to Geoscience Australia but don’t meet all our desirable skills and attributes? We still want to hear from you!
We know our work has the greatest impact when it is informed by diverse experiences and perspectives, so we strongly encourage you to apply if you are a woman with a STEM qualification, are gender or sexuality diverse, have a disability or are part of the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace where everyone has equal opportunity to thrive.
To be eligible for our graduate program you must:
- be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline level security clearance or hold a current security clearance of an appropriate level.
- be an Australian Citizen at the closing date of application.
- satisfy a police history check prior to commencement of employment
- have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree within the last five years
- live and work in Canberra (Geoscience Australia will support with relocation costs, where required)