Geoscience Australia acquired deep crustal seismic reflection data in the Kidson Sub-basin (southern Canning Basin) between mid-June and late August 2018 to better understand the subsurface geology of this highly prospective region.
The Exploring for the Future team collected a single 872km seismic line from Kiwirrkurra to Marble Bar. This is one of the longest seismic lines acquired in Australia and will significantly increase our understanding of the regions geology and unlock potential resources.
The objective of this project is to image the geological features deep below the surface to better understand the location and scale of potential energy, mineral and groundwater resources. This data will accelerate our understanding of the region's geological evolution and identify geological terrains with greater resource potential. Preliminary results show the data are of excellent quality and image a variety of previously unknown features.
- Download the processed seismic data package
- Raw seismic data is available on request from email@example.com - Quote eCat number 128284
- Gravity data
The Kidson Sub-basin project was undertaken in collaboration and co-funded by the Geological Survey of Western Australia and experienced seismic contractor, Geokinetics Pty Ltd, has been engaged to undertake the data collection.
Exploring for the Future Extended Abstract Volume
- Present-day stresses of the Canning Basin, WA. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Bailey, A.H.E., Henson, P. 2020.
- Gas systems in the onshore Canning Basin as revealed by gas trapped in fluid inclusions. Record no issues. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Boreham, C.J., Edwards, D.S., Sohn, J.H., Palatty, P., Chen, J.H., Mory, A.J. 2020.
- Tectonostratigraphic evolution of the Centralian Superbasin (Australia) revealed by three-dimensional well correlations. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Bradshaw, B. 2020.
- Kidson Sub-basin seismic survey and Waukarlycarly 1 stratigraphic well: an acquisition program for evaluating Canning Basin petroleum systems. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Carr, L.K., Edwards, D.S., Southby, C., Henson, P., Haines, P.W., Normore, L., Zhan, A., Brooks, D., MacFarlane, S., Boreham, C.J., Grosjean, E., Mory, A.J., Wang, L., Gunning, M-E. 2020.
- Onshore Basin Inventory: building on Geoscience Australia’s precompetitive work program with Exploring For The Future – the McArthur, South Nicholson and Canning basins. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Carr, L.K.
- Australian source rocks, fluids and petroleum systems – a new integrated geoscience data discovery portal for maximising data potential. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Edwards, D.S., MacFarlane, S., Grosjean, E., Buckler, T., Boreham, C.J., Henson, P., Cherukoori, R., Tracey-Patte, T., van der Wielen, S.E., Ray, J., Raymond, O. 2020.
- Deep northern Australian 2D seismic reflection surveys. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Fomin, T., Holzschuh, J., Costelloe, R.D., Henson, P. 2020.
- Generation of high-quality data for energy, minerals and groundwater by Geoscience Australia’s laboratories. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Jarrett, A.J.M., Thun, C., Champion, D.C., Boreham, C.J., Main, P.T., Waltenberg, K., Schroder, I.F., Bastrakov, E.N., DiBugnara, D.L., Long, I., Chen, J., Hong, Z., Sohn, J., Jinadasa, N., Palatty, P., Webber, S., Webster, T., Byass, J., Gilmore, S., Williamson, A., Tubby, J., Long, R., Linehan, B., Magee, C. 2020.
- Exploring for the Future: Kidson Sub-basin seismic interpretation. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. Southby, C., Carr, L.K., Henson, P., Haines, P.W., Zhan, A., Anderson, J.R., MacFarlane, S., Fomin, T., Costelloe, R. 2020.
Data & Publications
- Kidson Sub-basin seismic interpretation, October 2019.