Visiting Geoscience Australia
The Geoscience Australia complex is a purpose built geoscientific facility in Symonston, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory.
The site consists of two buildings. The main building provides for:
- General office, open plan and layout space
- Laboratories (including geochronology, hydrogeochemistry, organic geochemistry, inorganic geochemistry, paleontology and sedimentology)
- Public access to the foyer and reception, where you can see a superb collection of world-class minerals, rocks, fossils, geoscience maps and historical equipment
- Client Services
- Education Centre
The support building includes:
- Special purpose storage facilities for a vast collection of scientific data, rock, mineral and core samples
- Workshops supporting field activities
- Mineral separation facilities and
- Rock crushing activities.
Our public areas are open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm with the exception of public holidays and are designed for a self-guided experience. When you visit, you can explore some of the architectural and geoscience design features of the building and our foyer displays. Free admission and free parking is available onsite.
There's plenty to see and do in our public areas:
- National Mineral and Fossil Collection - see the superb collection of world-class minerals (800 specimens in the cabinets), rocks, fossils, geoscience maps and historical equipment displayed in our foyer. You can also view our most valuable unseen specimens which are housed in our vault and elsewhere via the Google Arts and Culture online exhibit platform
- N.H. (Doc) Fisher Geoscience Library - browse one of the most comprehensive collections of geoscientific information resources in the Southern Hemisphere, or just enjoy our desert garden (featuring Cabbage Palms and a collection of dinosaurs!) and exhibits from the collections. Our friendly staff can help you locate information in our catalogue, on our shelves, or on the web
- Education Centre - experience our hands-on displays and learn about earth science on a facilitated visit with a school group or by appointment
- Café Rocco - is available for meals and refreshments until 4:30pm. The café can host tour groups with prior notice. For further information please email: café.email@example.com or phone: 02 6249 9160
- To arrange a private tour of the building and/or the mineral and fossil collection please contact Reception on 02 6249 9111.