Plan your visit
Geoscience Australia welcomes visitors to discover Earth science and our work. The information below will help you to plan your visit.
Entry and parking are free
Special events may be ticketed
9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday
Closed public holidays.
The Geological TimeWalk is open 365 days of the year (outdoor experience).
Getting to Geoscience Australia
Geoscience Australia is located only a 12 minute drive from the Parliamentary triangle.
- Free parking is available.
- We have a dedicated Visitors carpark, with visitors welcome to park in the Staff carpark if the Visitor spaces are full.
- Accessible spaces are available in both the Visitor and Staff carparks.
- The closest bus stop is located at Narrabundah College, approximately a 20 minute (1.6 km) walk from Geoscience Australia.
Food and refreshments
- Blackstone Café is located on the ground floor and is open from Monday to Friday.
Parents and babies
- Baby change facilities are located on the ground floor near Reception.
- If you need First Aid, please visit Reception who will be able to provide First Aid assistance.
- If you have accessibility needs not addressed here or would like more information about accessibility at Geoscience Australia, please contact us so we can help make your visit easy and enjoyable.
Indoor and outdoor surfaces
- All indoor public areas are accessible by wheelchair. Please be aware that there are a variety of floor coverings, including stone, timber and loop and high-pile carpets.
- The outdoor Geological TimeWalk is comprised of sections of concrete footpath and compressed gravel walkway and is wide enough for wheelchair users. Where it crosses the road it is fitted with kerb ramps and Tactile Ground Surface Indicators. The majority of the path is on level or gently sloping ground, however there are short stretches of steeper gradient and some uneven surfaces.
- Accessible parking is available near the entrances in both the Visitor and Staff carparks.
- Guide dogs and other assistance animals accompanied by their handler are welcome in the public areas.
Conditions of Entry
Be COVID Safe
- Please visit us at another time if you are feeling unwell.
- Visitor numbers, occupancy limits, and face mask requirements are based on the most current public health authority advice and ACT Government regulations.
- Visitors are encouraged to maintain physical distancing and practice good hygiene at all times. Hand sanitiser is available throughout our public areas.
Visiting with Children
- While areas of the Geoscience Australia building are open to the public, these areas are not always supervised by staff.
- Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult and actively supervised at all times.
- Smoking is not permitted inside Geoscience Australia nor on our outdoor grounds.
- A designated smoking area exists near the Staff carpark. Please ask Reception for directions.
- You are welcome to take photos or video in the public areas of Geoscience Australia.