Australia's Identified Mineral Resources
Australia has a robust and world-leading mining industry of great importance to the economy. Each year, Geoscience Australia prepares the annual assessment of Australia’s mineral reserves and resources for all major, and some minor, commodities. AIMR draws on more than 40 years of data to reveal trends in reserve estimates, resource estimates and mine production over both short and long periods of time. It provides useful indicators of potential resource life and future supply capability.
AIMR also provides useful comparisons of resources at operating mines as proportions of the national inventory and insights into the distribution of Australia's mineral wealth. It is also of interest to note Australia’s position as a global source of minerals as many countries are dependent on reliable supply from Australia for their own economies.
AIMR's broad outlook assists with government policy decisions as well as programs and planning associated with the minerals sector and the sustainable development of Australia's mineral resources.
Australia's Identified Mineral Resources 2019 presents estimates of Australia's mineral reserves and resources as at 31 December 2018.
Quick links to AIMR Mineral Statistics:
- Table 1. Australia's Ore Reserves and Mineral Resources of selected commodities at operating mines in 2018
- Table 2. Australia's Estimated Ore Reserves as at December 2018
- Table 3. Australia's Identified Mineral Resources as at December 2018
- Table 4. Changes in Australia's EDR from 2017 to 2018
- Table 8. World ranking for Australia’s mineral resources (EDR) and production as at December 2018
- Table 9. Average reserve life and resource life (years) for selected commodities as at December 2018
Prior to 1997, AIMR resources were as at 31 December of the year stated in the title.
From 1997, AIMR resources were as at 31 December of the year prior to that stated in the title.