About What we can offer you
Last updated:10 October 2023
When you work at Geoscience Australia you will have access to a range of benefits and the opportunity to experience a workplace culture that truly values and promotes diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging, such as:
- A competitive base salary, which can be negotiated commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus 15.4% superannuation.
- Free onsite parking and nearby public transport.
- Access to our free onsite gym, available 24/7.
- Access to paid parental leave that supports parents, regardless of gender or individual circumstances
- Superannuation contributions whilst on parental leave.
- Accruable 18 days personal/carers leave and 4 weeks annual leave.
- Access to additional 12 week's purchased leave that can be taken around operational requirements.
- Additional paid leave during the Christmas and New Year period so you can spend time with your family and friends.
- Access to a variety of paid and unpaid leave for purposes including family and domestic violence and gender affirmation.
- Access to paid cultural and community days are provided as separate paid leave types.
- Generous flexible work arrangements, which includes working from home, flexible and compressed hours.
- Relocation assistance for new employees relocating from interstate into Canberra.
- Studies assistance program, which includes paid time to study and financial support to assist with course fees and material.
- Acknowledgement of your contribution through a variety of reward and recognition programs.
- Kick start your day with a coffee or catch up with your colleagues for lunch at the onsite Blackstone Café.
Further information is captured in our Enterprise Agreement [PDF 1.4 MB].
Our 2023 Employee Census results indicate that:
- 89% of our people feel that we support and actively promote an inclusive workplace culture.
- 93% of our people feel that we practice a flexible workplace culture.
- 84% of our people are proud to work at Geoscience Australia.
- 81% of our people would recommend us as a great place to work.
We are a:
- Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Ltd Program accredited organisation. Geoscience Australia has received three SAGE Cygnet Awards and is the first Australian organisation to achieve this, which is another reflection of our workplace culture.
- proud member of Pride in Diversity, which provides us with experience, expertise, support, and advice to assist in all aspects of LGBTQIA+ inclusion
- accredited breastfeeding friendly workplace, to ensure we can support people with access to lactation breaks, flexible work options and access to private facilities to express milk
- active participant in the RAP program, which promotes and facilitates respect, trust and positive relationships between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
We have a variety of staff led initiatives and networks, including the:
- women’s network
- parents and carers’ group
- pride network
- men’s support and engagement group
- social club.