Geoscience Australia's National Location Information Branch is the Australian Government's national mapping agency.
Through partnerships and leadership, we provide authoritative location information and geographic services, spatial analysis and advice. Our location information data and products enable evidence-based decision making, delivery of government policy, assist industry development needs and support community wellbeing.
Foundation Spatial Data Framework (FSDF)
The Foundation Spatial Data Framework (FSDF) provides a common reference for the assembly and maintenance of Australian and New Zealand foundation level spatial data in order to serve the widest possible variety of users.
Geoscience Australia is the national custodian of a number of the foundation spatial data themes and datasets within the framework.
ANZLIC - the Spatial Information Council
ANZLIC is the peak government body in Australia and New Zealand responsible for spatial information.
The role of ANZLIC is to develop policies and strategies to promote accessibility and usability of spatial information. ANZLIC is an advocate for the resolution of national level issues and provides a link between government and industry, academia and the general public.
Geoscience Australia is the Australian Government representative on the Council. The States and Territories also have representatives on the Council.
Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM)
The Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM) role is to provide leadership, coordination and standards for surveying, mapping/charting and national datasets.
ICSM is a standing committee of ANZLIC and provides technical location information advice and expertise.
Geoscience Australia provides member representatives on most of ICSM's permanent committees and working groups. Membership also consists of Location Information Agencies from the States and Territories.
Cooperative Research Centre for Spatial Information (CRCSI)
The CRCSI is an international research and development centre set up in 2003 under the Business Cooperative Research Centres Programme. As part of our commitment to e-Government, Geoscience Australia is an active member of several Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) and other Australian Government funded collaborative research centres. Geoscience Australia is listed as an "essential participant" to the CRCSI along with State and Territory land information Agencies and Research Institutions.
State & Territory Location Information Agencies
- Australian Capital Territory - ACT Planning and Land Authority
- New South Wales - Land and Property Information
- Northern Territory - Department of Lands and Planning
- Queensland - Department of Natural Resources and Mines
- South Australia - Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Tasmania - Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Victoria - Department of Environment and Primary Industries
- Western Australia - Department of Land Information (Landgate)
National Location Information Partner Agencies
- Airservices Australia National Aircharts
- Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation imagery intelligence organisation
- Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian statistical location information
- Australian Electoral Commission Australian electoral boundary location information
- Australian Hydrographic Service Hydrographic charts and information
- PSMA Australia Addressing, cadastral, transport & topography location information products